Many clients ask us whether there is a “Special rule” How to choose the size of a carpet or a rug for their living area,
our answer is always the same: There is no “Special rule”! It all depends on your taste, the place you have, and the type of
furniture you already have in that room.
There are, however, 3 main options when talking about size
A large rug, where all furniture pieces, such as armchairs, sofas, corner sofa, tables and footstools will sit on.
Such a living room will look more pulled together when you choose such a size. What do you take into account
when you decide for this layout? There are a few tips, amongst which.
Size and shape
Carpets are made in different sizes and in different shapes. Most carpets are rectangular and have standard sizes.
Common sizes (in feet) are 2’x3’, 3 x5, 4’x6’, 5’x7/8’, 6’x9’, 8’x10’, 9’x12′ and up. Shapes are usually rectangular
but they can also be round, square, oval, octagon or runners.
If you’re looking for an uncommon size consider looking at our range of Custom order page carpets that feature uncommon carpet and rug sizes or request for your required sizes.
Questions to consider are:
- “Is the carpet going to cover the entire floor or would you like to use it as an area rug?”
- “Is the furniture going to be on the carpet or off ?”
A good tip is to not be too rigid about the size you require. If you can come up with a range of sizes that are possible,
which will improve the chances of finding a rug you love.
- Keep your rug around 25 to 45 cm away from the free, visible walls;
- Make sure the distance from the back feet/side of the furniture to the edge of the carpet is of at least 10-15 cm
- Be careful with a too intricate pattern, since some of the pieces of the furniture will cover it and the effect will be lost.
Again a fairly large rug, but in this case, only the front feet of the furniture will sit on the rug. You will still achieve the pulled together
look, with a slightly smaller budget. There are of course a few tips to help you measure the right size:
- The same as above, keep your rug around 30 to 40 cm away from the free, visible walls;
- Depending on how high are the feet of your sofa, for example, you need to make sure your carpet lies far enough under it so you
don’t get to see the floor under.
A small rug, lying free between all pieces of furniture could also be a solution. This is when you want to bring a carpet with a particular pattern or a bright color in your living room. It can work, as long as you take the following STEPS into account:
- A small rug will make your room look smaller as well, so be careful with this in small, dark living rooms;
- Think about that coffee table. Go for smaller side tables instead, so you can actually enjoy the carpet and it’s design even more.
As we said above, there is no “Special rule”, therefore feel free to improvise, combine or use any of the above tips.
At the end of the day, it is your home we are talking about, and you should decorate it according to your taste.
We are of course here to help you choose the right carpet, so don’t hesitate to Contact us.
Please see below a few drawings to help you a little more when choosing the size.